Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chic on the Cheap: Cutting Costs Doesn't Have To Be Painful

Ladies, I went out to dinner tonight. No matter how strapped you are, you've got to leave a little bit of room in the budget for fun or you'll go mad, right? That's my credo! And since I'm visiting New York, I'm definitely giving myself a little leeway. But still, I only spent $10 on enchiladas at Chevela's – highly recommended for tasty and cheap Mexican food in a cozy spot in Brooklyn!

When my friend Kristen looked at the bill, she excitedly proclaimed, "Wow, it's amazing how easy it is to save money when I actually try!" Forgoing the usual libations probably helped a lot, of course – after a few gin & tonics, who cares about an overdraft fee? But really, it's just about making conscious choices to cut back in small areas, and the benefits really add up!

And the thing is, I'm not really suffering at all because of it. Living more simply has made me more conscious of my actions and choices: I'm finally learning to cook instead of relying on takeout; my butt is sexier and I save money on gas by riding my bike instead of driving; I'm finally reading all the books on my shleves more since getting rid of cable TV (thank god for Hulu, though, 'cause I can't live without 30 Rock!).

And guess what? The cheaper or "generic" versions aren't all that bad. I traded my Big Sexy Hair spray for Pantene's texture spray, and my hair is fuller than ever. Since I'm no wine connoisseur, Two Buck Chuck serves just as well as that $14 bottle of Pinot. I can't tell the difference between Amy's Organic pesto and tomato pizza and the Trader Joe's version, except the $2 I save (yes, TJ's is a lifesaver for a broke-ass girl!). And the jeans I wear most everyday are a skinny pair I got at Forever 21 for $12. Twelve dollars!

So my fellow budget divas, what's your favorite bargain? What tricks have you discovered to save money without feeling deprived? Check back every week for nw creative ideas to save and still feel fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment